Thursday, February 4, 2010

How the Germans make coffee mugs

First off, Thank you all for the coffee mug submissions! I am sadly dwindling down on my own coffee mug collection and I love seeing other mugs! You all are making this possible with your awesome coffee mugs! Yeahhhh!

This next mug and story comes to you from Denise M. She writes, "[This] mug is, I think, from Germany. Many years ago a friend of mine sent 2 of them for Christmas. She was living there at the time and claimed that they were a pretty popular kid item in those parts. On first look, I didn't get it. Pretty and porcelain, sure. But too precious and knickknacky for my taste. As soon as the holidays were over I had plans to pack them away in the basement. But by then the girls had figured out the handles were also straws. Yes. That's right. I said straws! For almost a year the girls would drink from nothing else. I keep them around now because I can't bring myself to banish something that worked so hard for so much love."

And I know the anticipation is killing you all so I will go ahead and post the mug.





Right....about now...






okay, I really will this time.


When looking at this mug, I can't get over that the handle is a straw. What a fantastic idea! I would classify this mug as vintage with functionality. Thanks again Denise M. We will have more coffee mugs from Denise later on along with the wonderful stories that are with them.

No comments:

Post a Comment